Friday, April 18, 2014

PINTEREST SUCCESS!

I wanted to combine this Stikwood idea:
DIY Ikea hack Stikwood headboard
and this bookshelf idea:


for my cheap bookshelf from Ikea.
KILBY Bookcase IKEA The shelves are adjustable so you can customize your storage as needed.

Well Stikwood is beyond expensive. If I am ever a millionaire, I don't think I'd even buy it then. How can you charge that much for wood??! So I decided to do the Stikwood look and buy the supplies at Home Depot. (Does anyone else LOVE the smell of Home Depot?! Amazing) This Ikea bookshelf was about $25, and my supplies from Home Depot were about $25. A MUCH better deal than the $200 of Stikwood. psh.

We enlisted the help of Brett's dad. We knew Dean would love to help us, since he is such a project type guy. And let's be honest, Brett could use a few lessons when it comes to manly type projects. He only paid attention to basketball as a child.

So we spent a Saturday evening cutting, staining, and gluing all of the wood to the gray backing of the bookshelf.

After letting it dry overnight, we picked up the backing off the ground to put it in our car...and something like this happened:



On the bright side, luckily wood doesn't shatter...

We threw it in the back of our car anyway, to glue everything back down when we got home. By this time, Brett was so done with this project. I was shocked that he even helped me with it in the first place (He really hates my projects I come up with). He was convinced it wouldn't work. But there's no way I was going to let that $25 from Home Depot go down the drain!
So I glued it all down and let it dry once again overnight. The next morning before work, I wanted to carefully place it on the back of the bookshelf so I could nail it all into place.

And then:



But I didn't have a pool to jump into. So I just left the mess there, and left for work.

After Brett walked in on the mess, I think he started to feel bad that I was failing miserably. So he suggested some gorilla glue. Off I was after work to Home Depot to buy some $5 gorilla glue, and a different method in mind to glue it all down:
I nailed the backing to the bookcase first, then glued it all down.
Miracles do happen! It worked! and I LOVE it!



5 comments:

  1. Not gonna lie, I had no idea what you and Brett were trying to do when I saw you guys that weekend, haha. It looks amazing! I'm so glad it turned out! You're an inspiration to all Pinterest project attempts out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! So funny! Turned out so cute though...oh, and I LOVE your sofa!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Too funny! It turned out great though. Oh...and I LOOOOVE your sofa. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Should have went with the Stikwood and it would have saved you ALL that mess!

    ReplyDelete