Monday, July 27, 2015

Beehive House Tour

Recently, I got to have a special tour of the Beehive House with my office. Yes, I realize how lucky I am to have these opportunities. There are so many details I could share that I have learned about this house, so I guess I will just share my favorites! (I hope I get my facts straight)

The Beehive House was the home of our Prophet, Brigham Young and his family. After he passed away, I think it then became the home of the next prophet, then the next, and maybe a few more. I know Joseph F. Smith (6th prophet) lived there and passed away in his room upstairs. Toward the end of his life, he had experienced many loved ones who had died and was wondering about their spirits and what they were doing after this life. That is when he received a vision in his room for the last section, 138 of the Doctrine and Covenants. 

There used to be a very tall wall that surrounded this house and other properties on Temple Square. It's purpose was to keep wild animals, Indians, and even paparazzi away (seriously) so it gave privacy and security.  

The rooms on the west side of the house were offices, for the governor's work and the prophet's work (Brigham Young being both). 


 This floor didn't always have this large hole in it. It was closed off, and certain church ordinances were performed upstairs before the temple was completed.

 This was Brigham Young's bedroom. His real hat and cane on the bed. His real dictionary and his wife's Bible on the table.


Interesting story: Did you know Brigham Young was a twin? His twin sister Mary, died when she was only 7 years old. Later in his life, he had his own set of twins, a boy and a girl and named them Brigham (Briggy) and Mary. His daughter Mary also died very young. This was painted after Mary's death, but they still wanted to have her included, next to her twin brother, Briggy.
Obviously, the scenery they are sitting in was made up, but they wanted a very classy and rich setting, because he felt like that was the type of people they were, even though they could not have it in Salt Lake City.

This is one of my favorite spots in the entire house. Our prophet on the left, Christ in the center. I could just sit on that couch forever. There is just something about this house that mesmerizes me! There is definitely a special spirit inside.

The children's play room.

The music room. I love how the ceiling curves. And the carpet is beautiful!




Although I didn't get a picture of the entire room that this furniture is in, (I was in love with these little details!) I believe this is the room where Joseph F. Smith received the vision, and where he passed away.

I just want to own this someday, it would be so cute in Teagan's room!

Every carving is different.

A little miniature door I found. I was seriously running around this house like a crazy person, trying to take it all in. I knew I probably would never be able to do this again, so I tried to take full advantage! I'm sure there are still some rooms that I missed. The house is ginormous, even though on the outside it doesn't look that big, I promise, it is!

We waved down our friend in the neighboring building to take our picture next to the Beehive on the roof!

 The view of South Temple.

We got to go down into the tunnels of the Beehive House, to see the original foundation. We got pretty dirty!

You can see a few more pictures of the Beehive House here

2 comments:

  1. ANNIKA!! *insert weeping emoji* I'm so sad I missed out! I love seeing these pictures though, and I'm so happy to guys made it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could've been there! It was so cool. Too bad the presidency had to go to a meeting, we could've spent a few more hours there!

      Delete